Alimony is among the most complex divorce-related issues, and if you currently make regular alimony payments, though you have recently lost your job, you are most likely wondering whether you can modify your alimony agreement to better accommodate your current situation. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey divorce attorneys to learn more about alimony modifications and how our firm can help you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is alimony determined in New Jersey?

New Jersey courts will analyze several aspects of you and your spouse’s lives and financial situations when determining your alimony agreement. They will consider which spouse is financially dependent, both spouse’s yearly salary, whether you have a child custody agreement in place, and more.

Can I modify alimony if I lost my job?

In New Jersey, courts will consider various factors when determining whether you may modify your alimony agreement after losing your job, though primarily, you will have to prove an unforeseen and continuing change in circumstances. For example, New Jersey courts will consider the reason you lost your job, whether you are actively trying to find a job, whether you received a severance payment from your employer, whether you have been out of work for at least 90 days, and whether you are physically or mentally capable of retaining employment. These are just some of the factors courts will consider, which is why it is critical that you hire an attorney who can work to prove that you truly qualify for an alimony modification.

What circumstances may not qualify for alimony modifications?

That being said, there are a number of circumstances that may not qualify for an alimony modification. For example, if you simply quit your job, you will most likely not qualify, as this is not an unforeseen circumstance. Additionally, if you lost your job due to committing an act of gross negligence or criminal activity, you will most likely not qualify for an alimony modification. The bottom line is that not every change in circumstances will qualify for an alimony modification, which is why if you believe you require a modification to your alimony agreement, the most important thing you can do is speak with a knowledgeable Rumson divorce attorney who can analyze your situation and determine the best path forward. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We are here to assist you.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.