Alimony is among the most hotly-contested divorce-related issues, and oftentimes, when spouses divorce, one spouse will feel as though he or she is being wrongly demanded to make alimony payments. However, it is unlawful to violate an alimony agreement that was formally determined by a court. That being said, if your former spouse is neglecting to make regular alimony payments in accordance with your agreement, you are most likely now considering your legal options. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced Rumson divorce attorneys to learn more about alimony in New Jersey and how our firm can help ensure you receive the payments you deserve. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How is alimony calculated in New Jersey?

Alimony is a complex issue, and New Jersey courts will consider various aspects of you and your spouse’s marriage and current financial situations. For example, they will analyze you and your spouse’s yearly salary, whether one spouse was considered financially independent, both spouse’s age and health, how many children you have (and your child custody agreement), both spouse’s earning potential, and more.

What are my options if my ex is not paying alimony?

There are few things more potentially destructive to an individual than when their former spouse decides that he or she is not going to abide by their alimony agreement, as these payments are designed to keep former spouses financially afloat so they can retain their standard of living after marriage. In certain cases, if your former spouse neglected to make one or more alimony payments, it may be best to simply speak with him/her to correct the issue outside of a courtroom setting. However, if this is impossible, you should speak with our experienced New Jersey divorce attorneys who can file a motion for alimony enforcement with the New Jersey court system. Courts can take a wide range of actions to enforce your alimony agreement, including the following:

  • They can place a lien on your former spouse’s property.
  • They may garnish your former spouse’s wages and put them towards alimony payments.
  • They may order your former spouse to make these payments with interest.
  • They can find your ex in contempt of a court order, which may result in sanctions or even jail time.
  • They may draft a “writ of execution,” which essentially means that they will demand your ex’s bank to take money from his/her bank account and deposit it into your bank account.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.