You may be wondering how you can enforce your alimony agreement if your former spouse is no longer making full or regular alimony payments. To learn more about this process and how our experienced New Jersey alimony attorneys can help, continue reading and reach out to our firm.

What should I do if I am not receiving my alimony payments?

Your former spouse may have stopped making full or regular alimony payments due to certain changed circumstances such as losing a job or suffering a serious injury. It is recommended that you retain the service of an experienced alimony attorney who will assist you in contacting your former spouse from a neutral point of view. It is not always easy for formerly married partners to discuss this topic which is why having an attorney in your corner is a great solution.

You may modify your existing alimony agreement if your former spouse has a legitimate reason for being unable to make payments. However, arrears will still need to be paid.

If your former spouse does not have a legitimate reason for the lack of payments, you will likely have to take legal action to enforce the alimony agreement. This can be done with the assistance of an experienced attorney. Our divorce firm is prepared to assist you when you are ready. We will work to communicate with your former spouse in a way that will calmly assess the situation.

What are motions to enforce alimony agreements?

Our attorney can assist you in filing a motion to enforce an alimony agreement. This will include your own preferences regarding the resolution. This can include your request for all late payments, legal fee reimbursement, and future payments to be made in a timely manner.

To recoup your payments if the notice of motion for reinforcement of the alimony agreement is found in good standing, the court will take the following steps:

  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sale
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments
  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts

If you require assistance with this process or if you have any additional questions, reach out to our experienced alimony attorney today. We would be happy to walk you through the steps ahead. Give our firm a call today to schedule your initial consultation with our team.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.