× close search
relaxed happy mother and little kid daughter in outdoors public park

Monmouth County Child Support Attorneys

When parents in New Jersey split, they are still responsible for financially supporting their children until they are emancipated. Though many couples will be able to agree on child support, some have no other choice but to have a judge decide for them. Child support is usually determined based on the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines. However, in some cases, the court may deviate from the guidelines based on the facts of the case. In other cases, the Child Support Guidelines may not apply based on the income of the parties. Child support can be a complex topic with many factors to consider. It is vital to have the strong legal representation of a qualified attorney who can provide you with assistance in court. Contact the child support attorneys from Paone Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation regarding your child support matter.

Child Support Attorneys | Here for Parents & Children in Monmouth County

Are you seeking child support after a divorce? If so, our competent child support attorneys are here to help guide you through each step of the process to help ensure the financial well-being of you and your children.

Factors that impact NJ Child Support

In matters where the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines do not apply, the court will determine child support based on several factors provided by law.

Some of these factors include:

  • The custody arrangement
  • The needs of the child
  • Need and capacity of the child for education, including higher education
  • The standard of living of each parent
  • Each parent’s financial situation
  • Assets and liabilities of each parent
  • Earning capacity of each parent
  • Age and health of each parent
  • Age and health of the child

When does child support end?

When a child is considered emancipated in the eyes of the state, the parents will no longer have to pay child support. In many cases, children are emancipated upon graduation from high school when they do not elect to pursue higher education and have the capacity to be employed. Children who attend college or trade school on a full-time basis after graduating from high school are not considered emancipated until they complete their higher education. The legal question of emancipation is fact-sensitive and each child’s situation is different.

Am I obligated to pay for my child’s college education?

Parents may be legally obligated to pay for their child’s college education. When parents disagree regarding payments for their child’s college education, the court must decide this issue. The question of contribution to the college education of the child turns on many factors, including, but not limited to:

  • The amount of the contribution sought
  • The ability of the parent to pay
  • The relationship of the school and the course of study sought
  • The financial capacity of the parties
  • The commitment and aptitude of the child
  • The financial resources of the child
  • The availability of financial aid
  • The relationship between the child and the parents

Contact a Monmouth County child support attorney

Paone Zaleski & Murphy has served parents through their child support matters for over thirty years. Child support can be a very significant legal matter that requires the assistance of an experienced attorney. Contact Paone Zaleski & Murphy for a consultation if you need strong legal representation in a child support case.

Latest Divorce & Family Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by