The courts understand that divorce is complicated and the complexity of two ex-spouses, especially ones that may share kids, does not stop after divorce. If your life has changed substantially, you may want to consider revisiting your initial divorce agreements. There might be modifications that you can make that will better reflect your current situation.

Sometimes modifications need to be made to a divorce settlement. The court understands that life happens and family situations may change as time goes on. It is possible to make modifications to your marital arrangements if your current settlement no longer suits the family or individuals. To proceed through this process, it is highly recommended that you retain the services of an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney who will walk you through each step of the way. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our firm today to get started. We are here to help. Contact us to schedule an initial consultation.

What might need modification?

There must be a change or reason in an individual’s life to call for the modification of settlement agreements. They are required to prove this change. The following are common reasons that individuals might site as reason to request post-judgment modification:

  • If either party no longer needs support from their former spouse due to cohabitating with another person
  • If an adjustment may be needed for custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule due to the child’s schedule changes
  • If the amount that is owed in spousal support or child support may need adjusting because either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc.
  • If custody agreements may need to change because either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc.
  • If their child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support payments
  • If their child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined

If you have experienced a similar situation, and believe that your situation warrants a modification, reach out to our firm today to get started.

What can be modified? 

Agreements that are made during New Jersey divorce proceedings can be modified for the following situations:

  • Child Support: If a person’s financial situation changes while owing child support payments, either party may ask for an increase or decrease in the amount they owe.
  • Child Custody: Child custody can be modified if either parent or child experiences change that deems the current custody agreement no longer suitable
  • Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation changes, a request for modification in the amount they owe can be made.

Contact our Firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.