If you have lost your job, you may be wondering if this change in circumstances will impact your alimony payments. To learn more about this scenario, continue reading. For assistance with your alimony matters, do not hesitate to contact our Monmouth County family law attorneys.

Can I stop paying alimony if I lost my job?

The court will consider the following questions when determining if the loss of employment should result in an alimony modification:

  • Is the individual able to physically and mentally obtain and retain employment?
  • What was the reason for the loss of employment?
  • What has the individual done in the meantime to find a replacement position or alternative means of income?
  • Did the individual receive and severance payment?
  • Has the individual been out of work for at least 90 days prior to seeking modification?

If you wish to request an alimony modification, it is important that you retain the service of an experienced alimony attorney who will ensure that your interests, needs, and concerns are taken into account by the court. Our legal team at The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy is prepared to walk with you through each step of the process ahead. Give our firm a call today to learn more about our services and how we can assist you and your specific circumstances.

Which job losses do not result in changes to alimony?

It is important to understand that not every circumstance where one party loses their job will result in an alimony modification. For example, quitting or voluntarily leaving a job is not considered an unanticipated change in circumstances which is a critical legal requirement for any post-divorce modification.

Losing a job due to gross negligence or criminal wrongdoing may also preclude an alimony modification. But, there have been some cases where the loss of a professional license has resulted in an alimony modification.

Rehabilitative alimony can never be modified. A reduction in what the court has found to be owed between the parties will not be warranted by any change in circumstances. However, if the paying party loses their job, this can result in an extension of the time frame they are given to repay what they owe.

If you have any further questions about how losing your job may impact your alimony payments, do not hesitate to contact our Monmouth County family law attorneys. We would be happy to assist you.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.