If you are a parent who does not have visitation rights, you may be wondering why you are still required to pay child support. There are several reasons why the state of New Jersey requires this. Keep reading and reach out to our skilled Monmouth County child support attorneys today to learn more.

How does a New Jersey court establish child support responsibilities?

In the state of New Jersey, courts will look into several factors when determining the amount of child support one spouse should supply for the other. One of the most critical factors that are looked at is if one spouse was financially independent in the marriage. If you were the spouse who obtained a higher annual income, there is a heightened chance that you will owe child support, and the less your former spouse makes, the more you be responsible for. Additionally, courts in New Jersey will also consider whether your child has special needs, if your child intends on receiving higher education or attending university, and many other aspects regarding your child’s best interests. Recognize that New Jersey courts will always make their decisions based on the child’s best interests.

Will a parent without visitation rights have to pay child support in New Jersey?

As a supporting parent, you will need to understand that child support is not dependent on child custody. Basically, regardless of your custody agreement and visitation rights, even if your former spouse has sole custody of your child if the courts decide that you must pay child support, you are instructed to do so. In the event that you are unable or simply do not make your regular child support payments, you can expect to encounter a number of serious consequences that will be implemented by New Jersey courts.

Because of this, you should keep in mind that in many circumstances, you may have your support agreement modified. For example, when a child gets to a certain age, he or she may no longer be qualified for support payments. Additionally, if your child is financially independent, he or she may also no longer be authorized to receive child support. On the other hand, however, you should understand that if your child has special needs or is preparing to attend college, as the parent receiving the support you can ask for an extension on your support agreement, even if your child has arrived at an age where support would otherwise be finished. Do not wait to reach out to our firm today if you have any further questions. Our Monmouth County family law attorneys are on your side.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.