If you would like to regain custody of your child, it is critical that you understand the steps you can take toward accomplishing this. Reach out to our firm today and speak with one of our skilled Monmouth County family law attorneys today to learn more.

How can a parent lose custody of a child?

There are many ways a parent can lose custody of a child. Some of the most common ways include the following:

  • Child Abuse: When making a child custody decision, the court must consider any history of abuse by the parent against any children the parent is related to. Child abuse is often apparent through signs such as bruises, cuts, scars, and other visible marks. Child abuse can be induced by the parent’s anger issues or it can be the result of improper sexual contact created by the parent.
  • A History of Drug and/or Alcohol Use: Family law courts will view any habitual or persisted illegal use of controlled substances, alcohol, or even the regular or continual abuse of prescribed controlled substances negatively and will likely alter custody arrangements as a result.
  • Domestic Violence or Spousal Abuse: Child custody orders must also take into account any history of abuse against the other parent. If you have ever engaged in domestic violence against the parent within the previous five years, a “rebuttable presumption” will take effect that suggests that joint or sole custody of the children will be harmful to the children’s best interests.

If you lost custody of your child as a result of any of the above situations, you will need to retain the services of a skilled family law attorney as soon as possible. Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to discuss your legal options.

How can I regain physical custody of your child back?

In the event that you lost sole custody of your child, there are a number of steps you should take to potentially get them reinstated by a California family court judge. Take the following steps if you are able to:

  • Look into the details of where it all went wrong
  • Contact a skilled family attorney
  • Take any contingency actions
  • Request a child custody re-evaluation
  • Take note of the court’s requests
  • Be patient
  • Consider other options to sole custody
  • Maintain a clean and safe environment for your children
  • Drive safely
  • Examine your contact list

To learn more, reach out to our firm today. Our experienced Monmouth County child custody attorneys are on your side.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.