Divorce is complicated, and unfortunately, even after your divorce concludes, if your life changes substantially, you will have to revisit your initial divorce agreement to try and obtain a modification to better reflect your current situation in life. Our firm is here to help. Please continue reading and speak with our experienced New Jersey divorce attorneys to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey and how our firm can guide you through every step of the legal process ahead. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What constitutes post-judgment modifications in New Jersey?

There are various circumstances that may warrant a post-judgment modification in New Jersey, some of which are as follows:

  • One spouse either received a promotion, got a higher paying job, came into a large sum of money, or lost their job, received a demotion, or incurred a significant medical condition, warranting an increase or decrease of alimony payments.
  • One spouse has now remarried or is cohabitating with another partner, warranting a decrease or termination of alimony payments.
  • A child has reached the age of emancipation or is now financially independent, warranting a termination of child support.
  • A child either has special needs or is attending university, warranting an extension of child support payments.
  • One parent wishes to relocate out of state with their child, warranting a modification to their child custody agreement.
  • One parent has exposed their child to any action that calls his or her parental fitness into question (substance abuse, domestic violence, etc.), warranting a modification to child custody.

Of course, there are only some of the various circumstances that may warrant a modification, and if you have experienced another situation that you believe warrants a modification, you should reach out to our firm today.

How do I prove that I need a post-judgment modification to my initial divorce agreement?

To prove that you need a post-judgment modification, you should hire an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney who can work to uncover various forms of evidence to prove that you or your child have undergone a significant and continuing change in circumstances. Depending on your situation, our firm can use text messages, emails, videos, school records, police reports, financial statements, legal documents, and more to prove that such a change has occurred. For any additional questions, simply pick up the phone and give us a call today. We are always here to help.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.