If you are the custodial parent and your ex has left the state of New Jersey or otherwise refuses to return your child in violation of your custody agreement, our firm knows how worrisome and heartbreaking this can be. Do not wait to reach out to our firm today to learn more about what you can do in this situation. Our experienced Monmouth County child custody attorneys will do whatever is necessary to protect you and your child.

What steps should I take if my ex recently left New Jersey with my child, in violation of our custody agreement?

If you are in this unfortunate situation, our firm recognizes the stress you may be feeling. First, you should keep in mind that it is illegal for a non-custodial parent to leave the state without the other parent’s permission or permission from the courts. The one exception to this may be if the parent and the child are in some sort of danger and they happen to cross state lines while escaping that danger. With that being said, if your ex left the state in violation of your custody agreement or is refusing to return your child and you fear for your child’s safety, it may be in your best interest to call the police.

It is also critical to recognize that in many cases, simply violating this agreement, whether a child is in danger or not, is sufficient enough to warrant a modification to the initial custody agreement. These agreements are legal documents and, if they are not obeyed completely, those who violate them can anticipate facing certain penalties. Ultimately, the court will have to weigh the details of your case and decide whether your ex’s violation is important enough to warrant a custody modification.

If you have any further questions or would like assistance fighting an allegation of custody agreement violation, reach out to our firm today to speak with one of our dedicated Monmouth County family law attorneys today.

What modifications can be made after a divorce?

Below are the divorce terms that can be modified in the state of New Jersey:

  • Child Support: If a person’s financial situation is changed, the amount that either spouse owes can be requested to be increased or decreased.
  • Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation changes, they may ask that the amount they owe be adjusted.
  • Child Custody: If either parent or child experiences a change that deems the current custody agreement no longer suitable, child custody can be requested to be revised.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.