The financial hardship caused for many by the Coronavirus pandemic led the government to pass and sign the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) into law. This is a $2 trillion stimulus package put in place to provide people with financial assistance during this difficult time. This is seen in the form of a one time payment that is determined by  the government based on the adjusted gross income listed on each person’s most recent tax returns. Most adults can expect a $1200 check while couples can receive up to $2400. Parents who have children under 17 at the end of the tax year can receive $500 per child. These matters can understandably cause some confusion for those going through a divorce. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney for assistance. 

If I Have a Pending Divorce Case, Who Gets the Stimulus Check?

Individuals who are going through a divorce during the Coronavirus outbreak may not be sure how they will receive their stimulus check. This is dependent upon their most recent tax returns. A person’s stimulus check will go to the bank account that was last provided to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on this return. If their latest tax return was filed jointly with their former spouse, the individual may need the assistance of a divorce attorney to recover the part that is theirs.

How Can Child Custody or Support Affect the Stimulus Check?

The Coronavirus pandemic has caused significant physical and financial changes in people’s lives. It is because of this that people going through a divorce can be unsure of certain aspects of their stimulus check once it is received. It is important to know that the person who filed as head of the household on the recent tax return will receive the stimulus check for the family. If a couple filed jointly with their child is listed as a minor or their custody arrangement changed since they filed, a family law attorney may be needed for guidance in these situations. 

While the virus outbreak has caused much uncertainty, the normal federal rules regarding child support remain the same. During this time, child support agencies are still required by law to report any support payments that are past-due. If a parent is not up to date with their payments, it is possible for the state to intercept their stimulus check to give to the child’s custodial parent so that it can go towards their outstanding balance.

Contact our Firm

If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.