Child custody is an important divorce matter that will impact many individuals. In some cases, siblings or grandparents may want to get involved if they are denied visitation rights by a parent. To learn more about grandparents’ rights in New Jersey and what you can do to obtain a visitation order as a grandparent, continue reading and reach out to our experienced New Jersey family law attorney. Our legal team will advocate for the best interests of you and your family. Give our firm a call today to learn more.

What is a visitation order?

A visitation order is used to allow certain family members to ask the court to intervene when they are denied visitation rights. Grandparents and siblings will have the right to apply independently for visitation rights. However, they will be required to prove that visitation is in the child’s best interest.

What factors are taken into consideration when determining visitation?

New Jersey courts will consider a number of factors when making a decision regarding visitation rights including the following:

  • The bond between the child and applicant
  • Whether these visitation rights will have a positive or negative effect on the child
  • The relationship between the guardian or parent and the applicant
  • The time that has passed since the last contact with the child
  • If the parents are divorced or separated, the time-sharing arrangement which exists between the parents regarding the child
  • The good faith of the applicant, meaning there are no ulterior motives behind his or her applying for visitation rights
  • Any history or indication that the applicant may pose a danger to the child
  • Any other factor relevant to the court

Where do I begin?

The first step you will take is to go through the court to obtain visitation rights. You will also need to retain the services of a dedicated and skilled family law attorney who will walk you through the legal process ahead. If you have been denied visitation rights as a grandparent, contact our firm today to learn how we will advocate for you and your family. Reach out to our legal team to learn more about our services and how we can assist you in achieving what is best for your family.

If you have any further questions about grandparents’ rights in New Jersey, do not hesitate to pick up the phone and give our firm a call. We would be happy to help.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.