Parental alienation is defined as one parent interfering with the other parent’s ability to spend time with their children. This often occurs when the individual attempts to poison the child against the other parent. This is a tactic to punish their ex-spouse throughout and following their divorce and is looked down on severely by the court. Alienation comes with serious consequences. Continue reading to discover the consequences of parental alienation and what you can do to prevent alienation from occurring. Reach out to an experienced divorce attorney today to discuss the details of your divorce and how we can best assist you with your best interest in mind.

What is parental alienation?

Parental alienation is often conducted by the custodial parent in an attempt to poison their child against the other parent by telling them negative things and painting them in a negative light. The individual’s goal is to limit the other parent’s ability to spend time with their child. This violates the best interests of the child and is looked down on by the courts.

What are the consequences of parental alienation?

It is common that the act of limiting the other parent’s ability to see and spend time with their child is done in violation of the custody order. This can result in custody being transferred away from the custodial parent and shifted to the other parent entirely. This process will likely be resolved in court. An attorney will always advise against such actions. Any actions to limit or diminish a parent’s contact with their child can result in the children’s custody being changed with the best interest of the child in mind.

If you are currently facing court hearings regarding this process, it is best that you gain the services of an experienced attorney who will fight for the best interest of your family. Reach out to our firm today to learn more about our services.

What can I do to prevent parental alienation?

The first step to take to prevent parental alienation from occurring is to have a direct conversation with your former spouse to let them know you are aware of what they are doing. If this does not stop the behavior from occurring, hire a knowledgeable family law attorney who will file a motion with the courts to modify your child custody agreement. This motion will be filed on the grounds that badmouthing you to your child violates the core of your custody agreement. This behavior is proven to cause serious emotional issues for the child. You may even want to fight for sole custody to stop this behavior from harming your child. If you are looking into this next step, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm to discuss what we can do for you.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.