There is nothing worse than having an ex who refuses to cooperate with your child custody agreement. Please continue reading and speak with our New Jersey family law attorneys to learn more about child custody enforcement in NJ and how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How can a parent violate a child custody agreement?

Unfortunately, parents in New Jersey find multiple ways to violate their custody agreements, and if you believe your former spouse has violated this agreement, you are most likely looking to do something about it. Some of the most common ways in which parents violate custody agreements are as follows:

  • Failing to return or pick up a child. If your former spouse is refusing to return your child, this may actually even qualify as kidnapping, which is a felony.
  • Having a substance abuse issue.
  • Exposing a child to domestic violence.
  • Making legal decisions on behalf of a child of whom a parent does not have legal custody.
  • Neglecting the visitation schedule.
  • Badmouthing the other parent to their children.
  • Engaging in any sort of behavior that otherwise is not in the child’s best interests.

How can I get my former spouse to follow our child custody agreement?

If your former spouse is neglecting your child custody agreement, the first thing you should do is speak with your spouse and voice your concerns and the need for change. This is the most straightforward way to solve the problem, however, as you may know, talking these things over with a former spouse is not always possible. In this case, you should consider hiring an experienced Rumson family law attorney who can assist you in handling the matter. First, you should compile a list of every way in which your former spouse violated the custody agreement. You must compile various forms of evidence, including text messages, financial statements, pictures/videos, school records, police reports, or otherwise, depending on the grounds on which you are looking to prove your former spouse violated the agreement. Our firm can submit a written warning to the parent, stating that if he or she does not abide by the agreement, we will take legal action against him/her. If the parent fails to change his/her behavior, we can seek a modification to your child custody agreement from the courts. If you have any additional questions or need our services, give us a call today. We are here to help.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.