As you know, there are few things more important to a parent and his or her child than receiving the support they need to uphold their standard of living after a divorce. Unfortunately, there are times where one parent refuses to make the child support payments that their agreement calls for. If you find yourself in a situation where your former spouse is refusing to make support payments, you are most likely now considering your legal options. Our New Jersey family law attorneys are here to help. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if my ex refuses to pay child support?

If your ex missed one or more child support payments and you believe open communication may help, then the first thing you should do is simply try and speak with your ex to correct the issue. However, if this does not work, you should contact the Office of Child Support Services, whether you receive support payments through the Office or not. That being said, if you do receive support payments through the OCSS, OCSS agents will work to enforce your agreement. That being said, OCSS does not always work as quickly as required, in which case, you should strongly consider speaking with a New Jersey family law attorney who can bring the matter to the court’s attention.

How can New Jersey courts help enforce child support orders?

New Jersey courts take child support orders very seriously, and when parents fail to abide by child support orders, New Jersey courts can step in to enforce these agreements. Some of the actions that the courts may take to enforce your child support agreement are as follows:

  • Courts may suspend your former spouse’s driver’s license
  • Courts may prohibit your ex from renewing his or her passport
  • Courts may suspend your former spouse’s professional license
  • Courts may garnish your former spouse’s wages
  • Courts may seize assets from your ex’s bank account
  • Courts may place liens on your former spouse’s assets
  • Courts may report your former spouse to credit agencies, which will drastically affect your former spouse’s credit score
  • Courts may seize your former spouse’s personal injury claims winnings, lottery winnings, and more
  • In the worst cases, courts may issue a warrant for your former spouse’s arrest

If you have any additional questions or you are ready to get started, please do not hesitate to contact our Rumson family law attorneys today. Our firm is here to help you through every step of the legal process ahead.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.