Those paying child support in New Jersey should familiarize themselves with the child support laws here in NJ, including those regarding child support termination. Continue reading to discover New Jersey’s child support termination process. Reach out to an experienced New Jersey child support attorney for assistance with any child support questions or concerns you might have.

New Jersey’s Child Support Termination Laws

New Jersey’s child support legislation states that all child support obligations terminate when the support child reaches the age of 19 in New Jersey. New Jersey’s legislation regarding child support also states that child support obligations are terminated if the child should join the military or get married. It is possible for parents to request a child support continuation. An example of a circumstance in which a parent would request this is if the child is attending college or university full-time.

However, unless otherwise specified in the child support agreement, child support payments will automatically end once the child turns 19. It is important to note that this is a recent change in New Jersey’s legislation for child support, S-1046. This law still applies to both future and previously existing child support agreements.

Your child support agreement is set to terminate when your child turns 19 even if your child support agreement was written previous to this change in the law. If you feel that your child is still in need of financial support, you should reach out to an experienced New Jersey child support attorney to understand the possibilities for seeking a continuation of child support. However, no child support agreement can be extended beyond a child’s 23rd birthday in New Jersey.

Child Support Termination Process in New jersey

Parents should receive documents regarding how the termination process works in New Jersey. Parents should receive this information by mail. The documents should explain how the termination process works, how to modify a child support agreement when a child becomes emancipated and younger children still require financial support, how to terminate support for a child when applicable, and the options for requesting a continuation of child support.

If you have not received this information due to a change in address or any other complications, reach out to an experienced child support attorney who can guide you through this process. An experienced attorney can help you if you are concerned about requesting child support continuation, termination of child support according to the new terms of your child support agreement, or concerns about child support modification. Contact our firm today to discuss your options. We want you to achieve a successful resolution.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.