When life changes after a divorce, this may mean that the divorce settlement will need to be modified. If you or your former spouse’s life has changed substantially after your divorce, you likely have grounds to revisit your initial divorce agreements. Modifications to your divorce agreement should better reflect you and your former spouse’s current life circumstances. To learn more about post-divorce modifications in New Jersey, what terms can be modified, and the most common reasons for modifications, continue reading and reach out to our dedicated New Jersey divorce attorney.

What can be modified?

The following divorce terms can be modified in the state of New Jersey:

  • Child Support: If a person’s financial situation is altered, the amount that either spouse owes can be requested to be increased or decreased.
  • Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation changes, they may request that the amount they owe be modified.
  • Child Custody: If either parent or child experiences a change that deems the current custody agreement no longer suitable, child custody can be requested to be modified.

What are the most common reasons for modifications?

It must be proven by the spouses that a change in the individual’s life calls for the modification of the settlement agreement. The reasons cited most for modification by spouses include the following:

  • Financial responsibility must be determined due to heir child entering college
  • Their child is exposed to domestic violence, serious mental illness, or substance above, prompting the custody agreement to be changed
  • One party received a promotion, demotion, became disabled, or lost their job prompting the amount that is owed in spousal support or child support to require adjusting
  • Their child no longer needs child support payments due to them reaching the age of emancipation
  • An adjustment for custody terms, visitation, schedule, and parenting time is prompted by their child’s schedule change
  • Either party is cohabiting with another person, prompting them to no longer need support from their former spouse

If the above qualifications are met by you or your spouse, the first step you should take is to retain the services of an experienced and dedicated New Jersey divorce attorney. Our firm is prepared to assist you with your post-divorce modification process. To learn more about how our legal team can assist you, do not hesitate to give our firm a call. We would be happy to walk you through the steps ahead. Pick up the phone today to schedule your initial consultation.


If you require strong legal representation for matters of divorce and family law in Rumson, Monmouth County, or anywhere in New Jersey, contact The Law Offices of Paone, Zaleski & Murphy to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.